Worship and Care For Each Other During this Health Crisis
Most of you have already been informed that Meeting for Worship at the Iona House has been suspended until further notice do to the COVID-19 pandemic. But that does not have to mean that our meeting community can no longer worship. Here are some options:
- Participate in a virtual meeting for worship. This virtual meeting will occur every Sunday at 10:30 AM by virtue of Zoom, a video conferencing service which you can access with a computer or smart phone that has a built-in microphone and videoconferencing capacity, or you can connect for sound only with a “less-smart” phone. If you are interested in this option, e-mail the Meeting’s e-address: email@example.com, and you will receive specific instructions.
- Participate in a small, socially distanced outdoor group gathering on Friday mornings in Buckingham by the Orange River. For more information, e-mail the above e-address
- Choose to simply enter into worship on your own at the same time.
- Link up with other Ft. Myers Friends of your choice at any time via simple teleconference.
- Invite Friends of your choice to a small group physical gathering. Some suggestions for this alternative:
- Have the gathering outside (backyard, for instance) where chairs can be placed 6’ apart
- Limit the size (10 or less).
- Encourage people to bring their own water or other beverage
- Consider adding another activity to the gathering (for instance, last 1st day several friends gathered to worship, then kayak)
- Invite some Friends to participate in other (virtual or physical) Quakerly activities (worship-sharing, discussion on a reading, etc.).
- Mutually select a date and time with several Friends to go individually into worship at your own homes.
We also strongly encourage Friends to keep in contact with each other over the phone, e-mail or whatever. Maybe a Friend who must remain isolated because of age and/or physical condition could use help with errands, shopping, or even a “through the window visit” with a phone.
New York Yearly Meeting’s Ministry Coordinating Committee has published an excellent guide entitled “Gathering in Worship…when we don’t physically gather”. You can read the document by CLICKING HERE.
Read the Poem “Pandemic” by Lynn Ungar, A Universalist Unitarian Minister.